| Blog Home Page |

November 20, 2008

Give A Gift, Win A Gift! Guess the Year!



When doing your Christmas cards this year, take just one card and send it to this address.
Pass this on! Sorry for the lengthy amount of info below.

Send a Christmas card to any service member! A card letting them know that they are appreciated means so much. When you are writing your Christmas cards please send one to the address below:

Holiday Mail for Heroes
PO Box 5456
Capitol Heights, MD
20791-5456

Please follow these guidelines to ensure that your card will quickly reach service members.
All cards must be postmarked no later than Wednesday, December 10, 2008.
Participants are encouraged to limit the number of cards they submit. If you are mailing a large quantity, please bundle the cards and place them in large mailing envelopes. Each card does not need its own envelope or postage.
Please ensure that all cards are signed.
Please use generic salutations such as “Dear Service Member.” Keep messages short.
Please do not include email or home addresses on the cards.
Please do not include inserts of any kind, including photos, as these items will be removed during the reviewing process.
Phone Cards and Care Packages won't be accepted with the holiday cards. Those wishing to send calling cards or gift cards/certificates should go to http://www.aafes.com/, scroll down to "AAFES Community Connection" and click on "Help Our Troops Call Home."

Go to http://www.americasupportsyou.com/ and click under "Homefront Groups" to find out how to send care packages.

Please pass it on! I'll be posting addresses for our overseas soldiers and sailors soon.

And now for the CONTEST! All you have to do is guess the year this picture was taken.

Easy peasy, right? you could guess that it had been over a week since I took a shower judging by the state of my hair but we won't go there.

Post a comment with your guess. Pre-WWII year guesses do not count and will be frowned upon by the blog administrator. I'm not THAT old.

Anybody coming remotely close within three years of the correct year will have their name thrown into the hat. You can guess the same year that another commenter entered! I might shamelessly copy-dog nikkicrumpet and have my boys Frank and Magoo pick the big winner.....on second thought they'd eat up all of the names so fast there wouldn't be a chance of establishing a winner.

The winner of the Last Known Picture of Linda With a Waistline will be randomly selected on Sunday November 30th.

Fabulous prizes will be dispensed. Chocolate, Christmas goodies, and joy in a box will be sent to the winner. You must have a US address and an email or blog address so I can contact you.

Leave me a comment with your Guess the Year and don't forget! Send a Christmas card to one of our servicemen and women! Good luck!
ETA: Frizzy at Heaven's Gift has Care Package addresses that cover many needs, including blankets, adaptive clothing for wounded servicemen, and supportive technology for our troops. If a card doesn't do enough, please check out the links on her blogsite.




31 comments:

♥ Boomer ♥ said...

As you know, I just 'found' you -- so I'm gonna throw out a very wild guess...... 1985

travel girl said...

I guess 1981.

Great idea about the Christmas cards!

Anonymous said...

Hey, lets see, Shawn was what, 3 or 4? when you went into the service so he is 32 now, 32 minus 4 equals 28, this is 2008 so the year must of been (drum roll, please, it is 2:18 in the freaking morning, I am lucky I am upright!) 1980??? Or 1979 since Michael was born in '81. So MY guess is 1979. Am I right??? Do I get the big prize? How about you and Jack riding with Sue and Tim over for Thanksgiving dinner? That would be prize enough for us. See ya. Love, K

Debbie said...

What a terrific idea to send the cards. I will do that very thing. I hate guessing. I can't even guess when our own pictures were taken. I'll guess 1983.

binks said...

Didn't the Army change to chamo BDUs in the early 80's? So I am going to guess 1978 based only on that information. And I am no military buff so I could be very,very wrong.

Leigh of Tales from Bloggeritaville said...

1976?

brneyedgal967 said...

No clue - 1984?

The Muse said...

I love the picture...:) but since I have inside track (so to speak), for me to guess is not really fair. But I loved reading the deductive reasoning of your fans!
PS...a great cause you are supporting...I know first hand the joy it brings!

Brenda said...

I was going to say 1985, but saw that the first guess was the same, so I will say 1986. Thanks for reminder and address to send Christmas cards!!!

nikkicrumpet said...

I'm gonna guess 1980. And thanks so much for the linky love...it was an attempt that went oh so wrong...but really made me laugh!

And I posted a thank you on by blog for the beautiful star. And I thanked Nana's box. But I think...like the pathetic dope I am...that I may have forgotten to thank you here. So THANK YOU THANK YOU I love it!!!

Mandy said...

Just blogged about this one too! It is a great program!

Claremont First Ward said...

What a great idea!

I wish I had "known" you longer so that I could make an educated guess. :)

Kellan said...

What a great idea about the Christmas cards - thanks for the info.

Now - I guess 1983.

Have a good weekend - Kellan

Queen-Size funny bone said...

I sent out 10 cards with phone cards and pics of my dogs dressed up for the holiday.

Snooty Primadona said...

This is definitely do-able & a great idea. Thanks for passing it on to us!

As far as a guess goes, I'd say 1977.

Tiffany said...

I'm guessing 1981. The year I was born. You hate me don't you? LOL

Julie D said...

1979. I graduated that year, it was the last time I had a waist. LOL

Susie Q said...

1978...good year 1978. : ) I got married that August. I was young, thin and in love. I am still in love...I have NO idea what happened to those other 2 things. Hmpf.

It is a mighty cute picture no matter what year it was taken. : )

Thank you for that address...we always do this every year. Bill was military for 27 years so this program is near and dear to our hearts!

Love,
Sue

Connie said...

I just pulled out my stash of Holiday cards today! GOOD STUFF!

I'm going with 1980.

Thanks for the natural remidies by the way ... once the 24 premiere is over I'm so tenting with Cran & Vodka!

Frizzy said...

It's nice to meet you via blog land. I'll add your link to my blog as another way to send love to our servicemen/women. Thanks so much. I would love it if you would link to mine as well.

http://7-7-7heavensent.blogspot.com/2008/11/tis-season-for-sharing-and-caring.html

MightyMom said...

well hello and so nice to meet ya!!

how you found me is a mystery but I'm glad you did! my guess will be 1986 for no apparent reason. :-)


Did you know my hubby is Ret Navy? I know what FTA stands for, and also what NAVY stands for...which I believe is similar no? Navy you can say out loud...Never Again Volunteer Yourself. :-)

and before I forget.

Thank you for your service. I enjoy my freedom immensly.


you're welcome to come on back by my place just anytime.

Liz Harrell said...

I'm guessing '75 to '80... you are so cute in that pic!

Kirsten Alana said...

1979.

I LOVE that you are giving people the idea to send cards to servicemen. My younger brother is going into the military and I hope next Christmas he will be getting cards from all over the world.

Mariah said...

My mom sent me a email I didn't think about posting on my blog I think I will.

The year??? 1978

Girl in Carolina said...

Fabulous idea....I'm gonna get right on this!

My guess is 1981.

Wanda said...

I'm new here....I am so loving the Christmas project.
Count me in for that one.

I'll have to take a crazy wild guess. It appears to be the 80's....so I will say-----1981!

Shauna said...

I am new here! What a great blog :) Count me in... I guess....1972

Anonymous said...

My Guess is 1978!

........have no real clue...just that 7 and 8 are my luck numbers!

Liz in PA

AngiDe said...

My guess is...... 1974

I'm really bad at guessing games ;)

Great giveaway, thanks for letting me play!

Angie
"Nana's Box"

Anonymous said...

On behalf of everyone at Pitney Bowes and the American Red Cross, thank you for all of your support in helping to spread the word about the “Holiday Mail for Heroes” program.

We would like you to know that we’ve not only reached the goal of delivering one million cards to US service members, veterans and military families, but we surpassed it! And it’s all because people like you and your blog readers who got involved. View the following video for more details and a personal message of thanks from all of us: http://blip.tv/file/1643672/.

We could not have done it without you.

Anonymous said...

Can anyone recommend the robust RMM utility for a small IT service company like mine? Does anyone use Kaseya.com or GFI.com? How do they compare to these guys I found recently: N-able N-central remote control
? What is your best take in cost vs performance among those three? I need a good advice please... Thanks in advance!